Alternative careers of H.P. Lovecraft:
* Paid research assistant to Harry Houdini: journalistic debunker of Spiritualism and other nonsense.
* Editor of Weird Tales magazine.
* New York advertising man, specialising in copywriting.
* Architectural historian, conservator and building restoration consultant.
* Astronomy assistant at Brown University.
* Paid researcher and writer for hire, for ‘our town’s history’ books.
* Travel writer, of practical guidebooks leavened with personal anecdote and curious local folklore.
* Part-time book cataloguer for Kirk’s expanding bookshop chain.
* Head press publicist for Sonia’s successful chain of New York hat shops.
* Archaeologist in the American southwest.
* Writer of a radio comedy-horror show.
* Purveyor of small boxed mineral and rock crystal samples, via the back pages ads of Popular Science (he owned a quarry).
* Inventor of a means of typing a story without actually typing.
* Populariser of the Patent Lovecraft Reducing Diet program.
* Dangerous Sea Life specialist of the U.S. Navy Archives at Boston Navy Yard.