A merry Yuletide to all readers…
Xmas dinner takeout? 🙂
Arkham Insiders podcast, the new German language podcast on Lovecraft, looks at Lovecraft and the Munsey magazines, 1908-1913.
A new podcast interview with Mark Finn, author of the book Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard (Second edition released 2013).
Added to the Open Lovecraft page on this blog:
* Jean-Emmanuel Filet (2013), Du Livre des Songes au Livre des Ages: recherches, creations sur le reve et la temporalite par la composition de deux corpus musicaux. (Part of a thesis. In French with English abstract. Description of the work undertaken for the chamber opera H.P.L. Outsider, based on H.P Lovecraft, which was the principal focus of the author’s doctoral degree).
* Erika L. Mutter (2013), Explaining the Unexplainable: a new cultural outlook on H.P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos (Possibly a Masters dissertation? Looks at narrator identification with aliens).
* Juan Luis Perez de Luque (2013), Communal Decay: narratological and ideological analysis of H.P. Lovecraft’s fiction (Thesis. Partly also published in English in Lovecraft Annual 2013, as “Lovecraft, Reality, and the Real: A Zizekian Approach”).
Director Huan Vu’s movie Die Farbe (2010, based on “The Color Out Of Space”) was well reviewed. Now he’s back, with The Dreamlands. The new movie will be freely adapted from Lovecraft’s various Dreamlands stories. Here’s a teaser video, which appears to be inspired by “The Strange High House in the Mist”, but perhaps with a slight touch of the studio from “Pickman’s Model” (Pickman, you’ll remember, later becomes a ghoul in the Dreamlands)…
A crowdfunding campign is being launched 1st March 2014.
A million medium-res scans of 19th century pictures, from the British Library. Too fuzzy and small for print, but fine for perking up your blog posts…
Added to this blog’s Open Lovecraft page:
* Brian J. Reis (2013), “Structurally Cosmic Apostasy: the atheist occult world of H.P. Lovecraft”, LUX : A Journal of Transdisciplinary Writing and Research, Vol 3, No.1, 2013. (On Lovecraft in relation to the Theosophists)
* Chris Laliberte (2013), “The Real In R’lyeh: on Lacan and Lovecraft”, with caffeine & careful thought, Vol 1. No.1, 2013. (Seems to be the house ejournal of the English Dept. at the University of Toronto)
* Justin Woodman (2004), “Alien Selves: modernity and the social diagnostics of the demonic in “Lovecraftian Magick”, Journal for the Academic Study of Magic, 2, 2004.